Bicentennial Commemorative Plaque-Snake Pit Print Page
Plaque commemorates the bicentenary of Australia and details the history of the Snake Pit.
The bicentennial year of Captain Arthur Phillip's arrival with the 11 ships of the First Fleet in Sydney Harbour in 1788, and the founding of the city of Sydney and the colony of New South Wales, 1988 is considered the official bicentenary year of the founding of Australia.
In October 1987, on the recommendation of the Randwick Bicentennial Community Committee, the Council undertook a project to give permanent recognition to buildings and sites throughout the City that have particular historical significance. With funding provided by the Australian Bicentennial Authority through its National Heritage and Environment Program, a plaque was designed and manufactured by Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company.
Snake exhibitions have been a feature at La Perouse since the early 1900s.
"Professor" Fred Fox was the first of the famous snake men and set a tradition for showmanship which has continued over the years. Fox was also determined to gain recognition for his snake bite 'antidote'. Demonstrating his antidote in Calcutta in 1914 Fox allowed a deadly krait to bite him several times. However, one bite was inadvertently left untreated and he died within hours.
The Cann family name is synonymous with the snake men of La Perouse. George Cann (1897-1965) reigned at the Loop from the 1920s until the 1960s and the tradition has been carried on since his death in 1965 by his sons George and John.
|Address:||Anzac Parade , La Perouse, 2036|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.988085|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event End Date:||1788|
|Monument Designer:||Arrow Engraving and Foundry Company|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
1788 - 1988
Has been venue for regular demonstrations by "snake men" since early this century.The Cann family has had a strong association with the Snake Pit since the 1920s.
Plaque funded by the Australian Bicentennial Authority and Randwick Municipal Council.