www.monumentaustralia.org.au

First Fleet Monument (Bicentennial Monument) Print Page Print this page

First Fleet Monument : Feb 2014
First Fleet Monument : Feb 2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
The First Fleet Monument or Bicentennial Monument erected in 1988, commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet in Botany Bay in 1788, carrying the first Europeans settlers to Australia. The names of all those new arrivals are engraved on this monument flanked by a couple of old cannons.

Location

Address:The Grand Parade , Cook Park , near Bay Street, Brighton-Le-Sands, 2116
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.961109
Long: 151.156458
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1788
Approx. Event End Date:1988
Monument Designer:V Cusack (sculptor) Fineart Bronze Foundry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 24th September, 1989
Front Inscription

FIRST FLEET MONUMENT
THIS BICENTENNIAL MONUMENT WAS DEDICATED BY
THE HONOURABLE MR. JUSTICE GLEESON A.O.
LIEUTENANT-GOVERNOR AND CHIEF JUSTICE OF NEW SOUTH WALES
ON SUNDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER, 1989
TO COMMEMORATE THE ARRIVAL OF THE FIRST FLEET
IN BOTANY BAY ON 18TH JANUARY, 1788.


This monument was sponsored by the New South Wales Bicentennial Council Rockdale Municipal Council and the Rockdale Bicentennial Community Committee
S.J.HOLROYD, MAYOR
Rockdale Municipal Council
S. KAYE CHAIRMAN        S.J.BLACKADDER TOWN CLERK
Rockdale Bicentennial       Rockdale Municipal Council
Community Committee 
                                 V.CUSACK 
                                  Sculptor

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design