150th Anniversary of North Sydney Print Page
A wishing tree planted for children and presented by Soroptomist International of North Sydney in 1988 commemorates the 150th anniversary of the settlement of North Sydney.
The township of St Leonards was laid out in 1836 in what is now North Sydney, bounded by what is now Miller, Walker, Lavender and Berry Streets. The plan of the township was approved by Governor Gipps and gazetted as St. Leonards on the 10th October 1838 and was changed to North Sydney on the 9th September 1893.
|Address:||Miller & Falcon Streets , St Leonards Park , North Sydney, 2060|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.830442|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1838|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 9th October, 1988|
THIS WISHING TREE
FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF CHILDREN,
WAS PRESENTED BY
SOROPTOMIST INTERNATIONAL OF NORTH SYDNEY
TO THE MUNICIPALITY OF NORTH SYDNEY
ON 9TH OCTOBER 1988
ON THE OCCASION OF ITS 150TH ANNIVERSARY
IN AUSTRALIA'S BICENTENNIAL YEAR