Nowra Bridge PlaquePrint Page
A plaque on the Nowra Bridge commemorates the bicentenary of European settlement of Australia and details the bridge history.
|Address:||Princes Highway, Nowra, 2540|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.866103|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1988|
Historic Bridges of New South Wales
over Shoalhaven River
Designed and constructed by Edgemoor Iron Co, of Delaware USA, this bridge was commenced on 5 July 1879. The longest bridge then built for the Public Works Department, it was officially opened by Hon. John Lackey, NSW Minister for Works, on 1 August 1881 before 6,000 people. One of its Whipple truss spans was displayed at the 1879 Sydney International Exhibition.
Erected to celebrate Australia`s Bicentenary in 1988
by the Department of Main Roads and the
National Roads & Motorists` Association (N.R.M.A.)