Alexander BerryPrint Page
A bust commemorates Alexander Berry, a merchant and settler of the Shoalhaven District.
Alexander Berry (1781 – 1873) was a Scottish-born surgeon, merchant and explorer who in 1822 was given a land grant of 10,000 acres (40 km2) and 100 convicts to establish the first European settlement on the south coast of New South Wales, Australia.
This settlement became known as the Coolangatta Estate and later developed into what is now the town of Berry, named in honour of Alexander and his brother David.
Berry set up a partnership with Edward Wollstonecraft (Berry and Wollstonecraft) and sailed to Sydney in 1819. Berry sailed as supercargo aboard the 'Admiral Cockburn', leaving England January 1819, and arriving in Sydney in July. He was shortly followed by Wollstonecraft aboard the Canada. They set up as merchants on George St, in The Rocks area.
In January and February 1822 Berry went with Hamilton Hume and Lieutenant Robert Johnson on a journey of exploration down the coast of New South Wales aboard the Snapper. During the journey he investigated the land in Shoalhaven area. In June 1822, Berry and Wollstonecraft purchased a small cutter, the Blanche, and Berry returned to the Shoalhaven with Hume and assigned servants (convicts) to develop his land grant there. The partnership was granted 10,000 acres (40 km2) there by Governor Brisbane on condition of providing for 100 convicts (1 per 100 acres (0.40 km2) of the grand). Berry set up the Coolangatta Estate while Wollstonecraft stayed in Sydney to look after business there. Berry later secured two additional land grands of 4,000 acres (16 km2) each. Together with purchases, the size of the estate grew to 32,000 acres (130 km2) in the early 1840s. His partner, Edward Wollstonecraft, died in 1832, with the entire Coolangatta estate passing to Alexander Berry.
|Address:||Princes Highway & Prince Alfred Street, Berry, 2535|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.775667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Trudi Voorwinden|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Julian Voorwinden|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 30th November, 2009|
Alexander Berry 1781 - 1873
This Memorial Honours His Achievements As A Surgeon, Explorer, Merchant Adventurer And First European Settler Of The Shoalhaven In 1822.
A Great Scottish Humanitarian, He Provided For The David Berry Hospital And Chair of English Literature In The University of St. Andrews.
His Determination To Create Mixed Farming And Associated Industries To Replace Bush And Swamp Succeeded In Laying The Foundations Of The Thriving Shoalhaven District As We Know And Enjoy It Today.
Aien Apieteyein - Ever To Be The Best
Unveiled On November 30th 2009, The Anniversary Of Alexander Berry`s Birth, By Gareth Ward, Deputy Mayor of Shoalhaven City Council
Sculpture by Trudi Voorwinden
Plinth created and installed by Julian Voorwinden