150 years of SettlementPrint Page
A monument commemorates 150 years of the settlement of Barham Station and 100 years of the township.
The history of white settlement begins in 1843 when the 114,656 acre 'Barham' station was taken up by Edward Green, who named it after the maiden name of his wife. The south bank of the Murray was then settled towards the end of the Victorian gold rush where squatters grazed sheep & cattle. The typical Australian struggle between squatters (on vast acreage) and selectors (who took up small lots) was played out throughout the district, with selectors such as Parkman, McConnell and Hudson moving in to take up small farms within the Barham station lease from 1877.
The Post Office opened on 1 January 1895. Growth was slow until 1904 with the construction of a lift span bridge designed to allow paddle steamers through.
|Address:||Murray Street, Riverside Park, Barham, 2732|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.630269|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1843|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1993|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
TO COMMEMORATE 150 YEARS OF SETTLEMENT OF BARHAM STATION AND 100 YEARS OF VILLAGE SETTLEMENT
1843 - 1993