150th Anniversary of OakbankPrint Page
A time capsule commemorates the 150th year of the settlement of Oakbank.
The town was founded in about 1840 by Scottish brothers James and Andrew Johnston. The Johnstons had come out to South Australia in 1839, and by the following year were opening up the country in the Onkaparinga Valley near the present site of the township. The Johnston family hailed from Oakbank, Scotland district, and hence decided to name the new township Oakbank.
|Address:||Main Street, Oakbank Soldiers`Memorial, Oakbank, 5243|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.984561|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1840|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1990|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th November, 1990|
To commemorate Oakbank`s 150th year a capsule was placed under this rock on 11th November 1990 to be opened in the year 2040