Pioneer Tree Print Page
The Pioneer Tree was officially unveiled on Australia Day 2013 to commemorate those who had contributed to the building of the community. The tree planted in September 2012 replaced the original pioneer tree which was destroyed by a storm.
In 1913 when the Water Conservation and Irrigation Commission of New South Wales was formed Leeton was only a canvas town, the only houses being those built on farms by settlers and houses for its officers by the Commission. On 3 April 1913 the first block of land was sold in the town. During 1913 a kurrajong tree which became known as the Pioneers' Tree, was planted as a feature in Kurrajong Avenue, and a butter factory was established in the town. A plaque was put on the tree in 1939 by "pioneers of 25 years standing" to commemorate those who contributed to the building of the community.
|Address:||Quandong Street, Graham Park , Leeton, 2705|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.562726|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th January, 2013|