Pioneer Women Memorial WardsPrint Page Print this page

Photographs supplied by John Huth

Wards in the hospital commemorate the pioneer women of the Atherton Tableland.

ATHERTON, June 26. The spacious vestibule of the new Pioneer Women's Memorial Ward was the scene of a large gathering this afternoon, when His Excellency Sir Leslie Wilson, conducted the official opening in the presence of members of the staff and the Hospital Board and a number of visitors. The Governor was accompanied by Miss Wilson and Captain de M. Leathes.

The opening of the new wards was a short and dignified ceremony. The Chairman of the Hospital Board (Mr. W. L. Matthies) gave a brief history of the Women's Hospital, which had been commenced in 1909, when the first medical ward had been built. In 1924 the people of the district took the opportunity to build a memorial for the soldiers who had died overseas, in the form of a Soldiers' Memorial Ward, and in 1934 the work on the Women's Ward, just opened, had been commenced.
Cairns Post (Qld), 27 June 1935.


Address:Louise & Jack Streets, Atherton Hospital, Atherton, 4883
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -17.266296
Long: 145.482926
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 26th June, 1935
Front Inscription

The Pioneer Women Memorial Wards

These wards are reverently dedicated to the glorious memory of the wonderful pioneer women of the Atherton Tableland without whose noble sacrifices the District could not have been developed.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design