170 Years of SettlementPrint Page
Helidon Town Clock and sculpture commemorates 170 years of settlement in the Helidon area.
To celebrate 170 years of settlement in Helidon, the Helidon and District Progress Association Inc. invited families to purchase a brick to record their family their family name and date of settlement in the Helidon area. The bricks are paved around the Town Clock, which is erected in Soldiers Memorial Park.
Land on the Darling Downs was opened to Squatters in or around 1840. Brothers by the surname of Leslie were the first to setup a 'Run' (means large area of land) in the Helidon, Lockyer Creek Valley. In 1841 this area of land was still under the control of the Commissioner of Crown Lands at Port Macquarie and was named as part of the 'Colony of New South Wales'.
Upon obtaining a "License to Occupy", squatters could produce a Run for depasturising stations for sheep and cattle. the land and any new squatters within the Helidon Run had to be approved by the original license holder before the application was made to the commissioner.
|Address:||Turner Street, Soldiers Memorial Park , Helidon, 4344|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.55004|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1841|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2011|
|Monument Designer:||Daniel Gill|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2011|
170 YEARS OF SETTLEMENT