Proclamation DayPrint Page
A bottle tree planted in 2013 commemorates the 150th anniversary of Narrandera.
The 76, 800-acre Narrandera Run was the first local station north of the river. It was taken up by Edwin Flood in 1843. This site increased in importance at the end of the 1840s when gold was discovered in Victoria. Drovers diverted their stock routes south to transport meat to the new goldfields and the Narrandera Run proved a good spot for a river crossing.
This trend was intensified during a major flood in 1852 when the creeks became impassable. John Dill built a punt and Edward Flood began pushing for the development of a village on the northern side of the river later in the 1850s. Tension arose between contenders for the northern and southern sides and the government surveyed both in 1860.
The village was proclaimed in 1863 though initial development was slow.
|Address:||Cadell Street (Newell Highway) , Narrandera Park , Narrandera , 2700|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.745601|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1863|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2013|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 28th April, 2013|