www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Hume & Hovell ExpeditionPrint Page Print this page

25-January-2015
25-January-2015

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

A cairn commemorates explorers Hume and Hovell who passed through the area on their return journey in 1824.

In 1824 Hamilton Hume and William Hilton Hovell, encouraged by Governor Brisbane, led an expedition of six convict servants overland to reach the Southern coast. A fortnight after leaving Hume's home at Appin, the party left his station at Gunning, on October 17th 1824, with five bullocks, three horses and two carts. 

They were the first whites know to see what we call the Murray River;  they christened it the Hume River for Hamilton Hume's father. However in 1830 Captain Charles Sturt, not realising he was the same river Hume and Hovell had encountered upstream, named the Murray River in honour of the then British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, Sir George Murray.  Arriving at the river, Hume & Hovell each carved their name into separate trees. Hamilton Hume's tree was burnt down in fires in the 1840s. William Hovell's tree survives to date, despite a termite attack, and in 2013 a clone of it was planted in Tatong.  Hume & Hovell arrived at Corio Bay on December 16th 1824.  Hovell had miscalculated at the end, and they thought they were at Westernport.

Location

Address:Centre Road, Molyullah, 3673
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.642128
Long: 146.154607
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:30-December-1824
Actual Event End Date:30-December-1824

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 19th November, 1924
Front Inscription

HUME & HOVELL 
On Their Return Journey
Passed Through Here
December 30th 1824.

Erected By Residents 1924

Source: MA,RUMV,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design