www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Blaxland, Lawson & WentworthPrint Page Print this page

09-January-2018
09-January-2018

Photographs supplied by Dave Rave

The Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth memorial commemorates the crossing of the Blue Mountains by the explorers in 1813. The monument consisted of the busts of the three explorers placed on top of a solid, slightly curved base.

The privately sponsored monument to the three explorers of 1813 was completed in 1969 by W. F. Gilroy and R. Gilroy, who at that time operated a kiosk and local museum from a small building in the reserve. The monument was originally designed by Mrs Doris Gilroy, who was a descendant of William Cox and the pioneer Collits family. It took three years to complete.

The monument was strategically positioned at the start of Cox's Road down the mountain pass. A large rectangular base was topped by three portrait busts of the explorers which were sculpted by Josef Nesteriuk. More than 1,000 visitors attended the official unveiling of the monument on 14 December, 1969. 

In recent years the memorial has fallen victim to vandals who knocked one of the heads off and left it in the bush some distance away. The Council has removed the other two for safekeeping.

Location

Address:Mount York Road, Mount Victoria, 2786
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.5528929
Long: 150.220134
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Monument Designer:Josef Nesturiak (sculptor) Mrs Doris Gilroy (designer)
Monument Manufacturer:W. F. & R. Gilroy (builders)
Link:http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 14th December, 1969
Front Inscription

1813

This monument was erected to commemorate the crossing of the Blue Mountains by Gregory Blaxland, William Charles Wentworth, Lieut. Lawson who with convict labour reached this point on 28th May, 1813.

Plaque presented by Blue Mountains City Council
J. S. Pryor  Town Clerk
Alderman J. M. Powell  Mayor

Unveiled by Alderman H. G. Coates, M.L.A. Member for Blue Mountains
14th December, 1969

Monument constructed by Rex. G. F. Gilroy - William F. Gilroy
Sculptured by Josef Nesteriuk

Source: MA,HNSW
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design