www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Crossing of the Ovens River by Major MitchellPrint Page Print this page

09-March-2014
09-March-2014

Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin
A plaque commemorates the crossing of the Ovens River by Major Thomas Mitchell's exploration party in October 1836. This plaque replaces the original plaque. 

The original plaque of Major Mitchell's crossing and the naming of the river by Hume & Hovell was erected on a tree near the bridge and unveiled in 23rd April 1915 by Mr Frank Tate, then Director of Education. 

 

 

Location

Address:Parfitt Road, On Bridge, Wangaratta, 3677
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.353653
Long: 146.329284
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:15-October-1836
Actual Event End Date:15-October-1836

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1966
Front Inscription

This Tablet
Commemorates The Crossing Of
The Ovens River Near This Spot By
MAJOR MITCHELL
October 15-1836.

The River Was Named By
HUME And HOVELL
November 24-1824

Country Roads
      Board
     1966

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design