www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Crossing of the Blue MountainsPrint Page Print this page

09-January-2018 (Dave Rave)
09-January-2018 (Dave Rave)

Photographs supplied by Kathy Watkins / Dave Rave

A pavilion commemorates the centenary of the crossing of the Blue Mountains in 1813 by Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth.

It was J. W. Berghofer, President of Blaxland Shire and also a trustee of the reserve, who initially suggested the idea of the centenary celebrations. Mount York was also reasonably close to the main railway line at Mount Victoria, and of sufficient area that large crowds could be accommodated. Despite fundraising efforts and a special purpose Treasury grant of £700, the Centenary Celebrations Committee of 1913 had to concentrate its efforts on only a few main projects and locations due to financial constraints. A major element proposed was the erection of a memorial pavilion planned to cost £400.

The design for the memorial pavilion was prepared by George Sydney Jones, of Jones and Southcott, Architects, Sydney. The neo-Classical style pavilion with eight columns, cupola and a central tablet of polished trachyte, was intended to be the focus of the 1913 Centenary celebrations. The contractor was Mr F. T. Collas of Marrickville, with the memorial tablet supplied by the monumental masons, Loveridge and Hudson. This structure was dedicated to the explorers Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson, the surveyor George Evans, the road-builder William Cox, and the visionary governor Lachlan Macquarie. The pavilion was incomplete on the day of the official centenary celebrations, as rain had delayed the construction work. It was not finally completed until December 1913.

Location

Address:Mount York Road , Mount York Lookout, Mount Victoria, 2786
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.553327
Long: 150.219646
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Approx. Event Start Date:1813
Approx. Event End Date:1913
Link:http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 28th May, 1913
Approx. Monument Dedication Date:
Front Inscription

This pavilion was unveiled by Sir Gerald Strickland G.C.M.G.

Governor of N. S. Wales

28th May 1913

Back Inscription

Festival of the Crossing of the Blue Mountains in association with the Mt. Victoria & District Historial Society

This plaque was placed on the 28th May 1988, being the 175th anniversary of the crossing of the Blue Mountains by Blaxland, Lawson & Wentworth, to honour those who pioneered the wat, and the dedicated settlers who followed by their efforts in opening up the inland, they led a small penal colony towards the Australia of today.

Presented in the Bicentennial Year, 1988 by the Instittution of Surveyors
J Monteath President

Bernard Fisk     Commissioner for Main Roads
S. J. Day           Secretary for Lands
D. M. Grant       Surveyor-General
Ald. Jim Angel   Mayor, City of Blue Mountains

 

 

Source: MA,HNSW
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design