William Charles Wentworth - Blue Mountains Crossing BicentenaryPrint Page
Bust of William Wentworth commemorates the bicentenary of the crossing of the Blue Mountains.
In 1813, Gregory Blaxland, William Charles Wentworth, and Lieutenant Lawson, along with four servants, four pack horses and five dogs, set off on an exploration which was to create history. On the 11th May 1813 the explorers departed from Emu Plains reaching the foothills of the Blue Mountains, or Glenbrook as it is known today.
For Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson, the trip across the Blue Mountains was a tremendous struggle. Having insufficient food for their journey, they recorded the trek required constant hacking through thick scrub and treading through "damp dew-laden undergrowth". They were also in fear of attack by Aborigines. These factors, in combination with sickness, nearly saw the men defeated by the rugged terrain.
Eighteen days later, on the 29th May 1813, the Blue Mountains was no longer considered an impassible barrier following the discovery of the gently sloping mountains to the west.
Memorial pending 2013
|Address:||Station Street, Wentworth Falls , 2782|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.709219|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||1813|
|Actual Event End Date:||2013|
|Monument Designer:||Terrance Plowright|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||April, 2013|