Matthew Flinders CairnPrint Page
Cairn and rest area commemorate the site near where Matthew Flinders camped on the 26th and 27th July 1799. The plaque on the cairn is missing. The plaque was originally erected by members of the Royal Historical Society of Queensland and unveiled by the Speaker of the Queensland Parliament, Mr D.E. Nicholson M.L.A on the 27th July 1963.
Lieutenant (later Captain) Matthew Flinders was the first explorer to enter Glass House Bay (now Moreton Bay). Having left Sydney on 8 July 1799 in HM Sloop Norfolk he reached Cape Moreton on 14 July. For two weeks he explored the bay and its environs.
He hiked to the Glasshouse Mountains, climbing Beerburrum and visiting the foot of Tibrogargan. Apart from his initial skirmish with the natives, he found them to be friendly, and described their achievements with respect and admiration.
Note : The plaque for this monument has been removed.
|Address:||Steve Irwin Way , Matthew Flinders Rest Area, Beerburrum, 4517|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.938757|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th July, 1963|
MATTHEW FLINDERS REST AREA
Lt. MATTHEW FLINDERS R N.
CAMPED NEAR HERE
26/27 JULY 1799