Centenary of Northern Territory ExplorationPrint Page
A fountain erected by family members commemorates the pioneer settlers Timothy & Catherine O`Shea and the centenary of exploration of the Northern Territory 1860 -1960.
In 1909, Timothy and Catherine (O’Keefe) O`Shea arrived in Port Darwin ready to start prospecting for gold. They found their way to Pine Creek where they built a home and pegged down the rights to the Enterprise Mine. O`Shea then went on to build a billiard saloon, a hotel and worked on the railway line from Pine Creek to Emungalan from 1917 to 1926.
|Address:||O`Shea Terrace, O`Shea Park, Katherine, 0850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -14.462786|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1860|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1960|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1960|
THIS FOUNTAIN WAS ERECTED BY THEIR FAMILY TO THE MEMORY OF TIMOTHY AND CATHERINE O`SHEA
EARLY SETTLERS OF THE DISTRICT AND TO COMMEMORATE THE NORTHERN TERRITORY CENTENARY