Sutton Forest Explorers MemorialPrint Page
The memorial, which is of Bowral trachyte on a brick base and bears a bronze plate, commemorates the first official party of British explorers who passed through the district in 1798. It was unveiled on the 150th anniversary.
The unveiling of a memorial tablet to commemorate the visit of the first explorers to Sutton Forest was prefaced by a service, attended by about 60 people, in the time-mellowed church of All Saints, Sutton Forest, conducted under the auspices of the Ministers fraternal of the Berrima district. Briefly, the order of service was: Hymn, "O God our Help in ages past"; appropriate prayers led by the Rector, Rev. P. Wilde; scripture reading, the 111th Psalm, by Rev. C Wheeler, Methodlst minister at Moss Vale; hymn, "Praise to our God"; and an address by Rev. J. F. Mason, Anglican clergyman at Moss Vale and president of the Ministers' Fraternal. The service concluded with the hymn "Now thank we all our God," and those present then joined a further gathering at the site of the monument by the roadside in front of the Royal Hotel, Sutton Forest, for the unveiling of the tablet by Mr. Bryce Beard, M.B.E., of Bowral.
Southern Mail (Bowral, NSW), 2 April 1948.
|Address:||Illawarra Highway, Outside Sutton Forest Inn, Sutton Forest, 2577|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.570416|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-March-1798|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-March-1948|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 20th March, 1948|
SHIRE OF WINGECARRIBEE.
The First Official Party Of
Passed Through This District On
20 March, 1798.
The Council Of The Shire Of Wingecarribee.
Unveiled By SJ Bryce Beard Esq, MBE, On
20 March, 1948.
CJ Ross. Shire President.