First Free Settlement MonumentPrint Page
They established Zion`s Hill Mission at a place close to the Toombul shopping centre and the mission closed in the mid-1840s when funding stopped and the settlers reverted to farming.
The celebration next March of the hundredth anniversary of the arrival of Moravian missionaries at Nundah will mark the centenary, not only of the foundation of Nundah, but of the establishment of free settlement in Queensland. A movement was set afoot last year to give the centenary a siqnificance worthy of the occasion. It is under the auspices of the Department of Public Instruction, and embraces the State Government, the Brisbane City Council, University, the two Lutheran Synods, the Goethe Bund, the Deutscher Turn Verein, the Bibliographical and the Historical Societies, the Oxley Library Committee, and the Institute of International Affairs, as well as individuals interested in fittingly commemorating the event. It is hoped to mark the centenary by the erection of a cairn or other memorial at Nundah, the publication of a memorial volume covering the history of the establishment of the mission, and by an exhibition of literature of Australia, and particularly of Queensland, in the German language.
The Moravian mission settlement at Nundah, owed its inception to a promise obtained by Dr. Dunmore Lang, from Lord Glenelg, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, that a mission to the aborigines in the Moreton Bay settlement would be endowed at the rate of £ for £ on public subscription. Dr. Lang visited Germany, and arranged for the selection of a party of ordained and lay missionaries to go to the new settlement, and found a Moravian mission similar to those in other parts of the world. A party of two pastors — the Rev. K. W. Schmidt (in charge), the Rev. Christopher Eipper — and nine lay missionaries, who were also artisans, sailed from Greenock in the ship Minerva. Early In 1838 the missionaries arrived in Sydney, and in March of that year reached Moreton Bay in the schooner Isabella. At what is now Nundah, they established a settlement, which for many years was known as German Station.
Early in 1838 the missionaries arrived in Sydney, and in March of that year reached Moreton Bay in the schooner Isabella. At what is now Nundah, they established a settlement, which for many years was known as German Station.
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane,), 25 June 1937.
A meeting of the Queensland First Free Settlers' Centenary Committee, Nundah, was held in the Shire Hall, Nundah, on Monday night. Mr. L. G. Stupart presided. It was decided to fall in with the proposal of the central committee that the first item of the celebrations should be the unveiling of the memorial cairn at Nundah on Saturday, April 23.
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane), 8 December 1937.
|Address:||Sandgate Road, Nundah, 4012|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.404444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 23rd April, 1938|
QUEENSLAND`S FIRST FREE SETTLEMENT
THESE MISSIONARIES WITH THEIR FAMILIES SETTLED AT ZION`S HILL, NEAR THIS SPOT. 1838.
THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF QUEENSLAND.
The Hon. W. Forgan Smith. LLD., M.L.A., Premier.
Alderman the Hon A.J. Jones. Lord Mayor, Brisbane
This settlement was inspired by John Dunmore Lang and Johannes Goszner