Burke & Wills ExpeditionPrint Page
A monument commemorates Burke and Wills campsite 119 which was their most northerly campsite during their expedition in 1861.
On 11 February 1861, four members of the Burke and Wills expedition attempting to cross the Australian continent from south to north, established their most northerly campsite adjacent the Bynoe River in the Gulf of Carpentaria. Two of the party camped at this location for three days while expedition leader Robert Burke and surveyor William Wills ventured further north in an attempt to reach the Gulf coast. During their occupation of the site, the party blazed 15 trees to mark its location.
|Address:||Normanton-Burketown Road, Little Bynoe River, Normanton, 4890|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.878344|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1978|
This plaque, placed here by members of the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia (QLD) Inc. during their 1986 expedition to Lawn Hill Gorge, marks the general area where 125 years ago, Burke, Wills, King and Grey as members of the Victorian Expedition instigated by the Royal Society of Victoria, established Camp No. CXIX after the first successful crossing south to north of the Australian continent in February 1861.
Hon. John Greenwood Q.C. President Oct. 1986
This monument marks the site of Camp No. 119 of the 1860-61 Burke and Wills expedition occupied on Saturday 9th February 1861 by Robert O`Hara Burke, William John Wills, John King and Charley Gray. On Sunday the 10th February Burke and Wills left on the attempt to journey to the Gulf of Carpentaria, returning on Tuesday the 12th February all four abandoned the camp next day for the return journey to Coopers Creek (Depot 75) and home to Melbourne. During the return journey, all died with the exception of King who survived with the assistance of a friendly Aboriginal Tribe.
This monument was provided through, and with thanks to, the generous donation of Mr Douglas Jolly of Brisbane and the historical advice of the State Library of Victoria, and was erected in 1978 by the Normanton Lions Club.