Ludwig Leichhardt ExpeditionPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the Leichhardt expedition of 1844.
Leichhardt with a party of six left Sydney on 13 August 1844 and were joined by another four people in Moreton Bay. They then rode to Jimbour which, at the time was the last outpost of settlement. On 1 October they left Jimbour and for the next fifteen months they traversed western Queensland and the north-eastern section of the Northern Territory (a distance of nearly 5000 kilometres) arriving at Port Essington exhausted on 17 December 1845. When they finally returned to Sydney on 25 March 1846 Leichhardt was greeted as a hero and hailed as the `Prince of Explorers.'
|Address:||Dalby-Jandowae Road, Jimbour, 4406|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.963581|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||01-October-1844|
|Actual Event End Date:||01-October-1844|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 8th October, 1955|
FRIEDRICH WILHELM LUDWIG
NATURALIST AND EXPLORER
PARTY OF PATHFINDERS CAMPED HERE,
- AT JIMBOUR, ON WAY TO PORT ESSINGTON 1844
UNVEILED 8TH OCT 1955
FOR THE ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY
BY THE HON.A.J.MANSFIELD (S.P.J.)