John McDouall StuartPrint Page
A monument commemorates the explorer John McDouall Stuart.
The monument also contains a plaque commemorating the camel expedition from 30th September 1987 to 1st January 1988 from Darwin to Adelaide by members of the South Australian and Northern Territory Police Force as a joint contribution to Australia's Bicentenary
The South Australian government was keen to open a route from Adelaide to the north coast and offered a reward of $4,000 to the first person to achieve it. In 1860, Stuart, accompanied by William Kekwick and Ben Head, set out on their first attempt. The party reached Attack Creek, north of Tennant Creek, before being forced back through lack of supplies and hostile aboriginals on June 27th 1860. Stuart, with Kekwick and 10 others, set out again on New Year`s Day 1861, and reached Newcastle Waters, but was again forced to return, this time because of the dense bushland. They left Adelaide again in December, 1861 and seven months later, on July 24th 1862, finally reached the north coast at a place which they named Chambers Bay, after a sponsor of their expeditions. Stuart suffered from the gruelling effort required on these journeys and returned to Scotland shortly after.
The monument was restored and unveiled on the 8th September 2008.
|Address:||Smith Street Mall & Knuckey Street, Raintree Park, Darwin, 0800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.463051|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||25-October-1861|
|Actual Event End Date:||24-July-1862|
|Monument Designer:||Herbert Knoll / Geoff Todd (2008)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 28th September, 1974|
John McDouall Stuart
Surveyor - Explorer 1815 - 1866
Sculptured by Herbert Knoll
Unveiled by His Honour the Administrator of the Northern Territory Mr. J. N. Nelson 28 September 1974.
Between 1858 and 1862, John McDouall Stuart led six expeditions which included three attempts to cross the continent, south to north, passing through the centre of Australia,
His final expedition (10 men with 71 horses) departed Adelaide on 25 October 1861, and reached Chambers Bay, east of present day Daatwin, on 25 July 1862.
Members of Stuart`s party
William Patrick Auld
John William Billiatt
William Darton Kekwick
Francis William Thring
Frederick George Waterhouse
The sculpture was restored in 2008 by Geoff Todd
Darwin City Council
Expedition undertaken by members of the
South Australian & Northern Territory Police Forces
Darwin to Adelaide
6th September 1987 - 1st January 1988
This joint contribution to the Australian Bicentenary
pays tribute to the courage, initiative & endeavour of
pioneering police stationed along the Overland Telegraph Line
the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Darwin
Mr. Alec Fong Lim, A.M.
6th September 1987
near the site of the original Darwin Police Station
Constable R. E. Clyne, B.A. (Hons)
South Australian Police Force
Assistant Commissioner C. G. WIlson, Q.P.M.
South Australian Police Force
Mr. D. A. Hunt, Q.P.M. South Australian Police Commissioner
Mr. R. McAulay, Q.P.M. Northern Territory Police Commissioner
This plaque was donated by the Commonwealth Bank