Bass & Flinders Print Page
Cairn commemorates the naming of Circular Head by George Bass & Matthew Flinders.
Bass and Flinders were sure that a body of water separated Van Diemen`s Land (now called Tasmania) and the Australian mainland. In 1798 they sailed along the northern coast of Van Dieman`s Land. They rowed up the Tamar River to near where Launceston is today and later climbed to the top of Mount Wellington which overlooks Hobart. They proved that there was water between Australia and Van Diemen`s Land and it was named Bass Strait by Governor Hunter.
|Address:||Greenhills Road , King Park , Stanley, 7331|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -40.757845|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||05-December-1798|
|Actual Event End Date:||05-December-1798|
This cairn was erected to commemorate the naming of Circular Head by Lieutenant Matthew Flinders and Dr. George Bass on December 5th 1798 when they sailed past in the sloop " Norfolk" during a voyage which proved the existence of Bass Strait.
Presented to the people of Circular Head by the Broken Hill Proprietary Co, Ltd.