www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Claiming of King IslandPrint Page Print this page

21-January-2017
21-January-2017

Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

An obelisk commemorates the claiming of "King`s Island" as a British possesion by Lieutenant Robbins in December 1802.

Acting under private instructions from Governor Philip King of the British colony of New South Wales, acting Lieutenant Robbins was hastily sent south from the Colony of Port Jackson (Sydney) to locate the French Admiral Baudin in late November 1802.

Baudin was conducting scientific expeditions in the region with two ships, and although on good terms with Governor King, the Governor had heard of comment from Baudin`s men that they planned to establish a settlement in the D`Entrecasteaux Channel.

Lieutenant Robbins caught up with the two French boats, the Naturaliste  and Le Geographe, at King Island, where he ceremoniously claimed the Island, the Strait and Van Diemen`s Land for the Crown - hoisting the British Flag in a large gum tree and firing three volleys in salute low over the nearby French tents. Luckily the French, who numbered nearly one hundred, treated the incident with ridicule and not with force, as Lieutenant Robbins and crew from the schooner Cumberland numbered only 17 and also needed to borrow from the French the gunpowder for the salute.

Baudin latter commented in a private letter to Governor King about "That childish ceremony was ridiculous, and has become more so from the manner in which the flag was placed, the head being downwards and the attitude not very majestic. I thought at first it might have been a flag which had served to strain water and then hung out to dry". 

Location

Address:Esplanade, King Island, Naracoopa, 7256
State:TAS
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -39.921018
Long: 144.124395
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Actual Event STart Date:14-December-1802
Actual Event End Date:14-December-1802

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1954
Front Inscription

Erected in 1954 to commemorate the claiming of King Island as a British possesion on the 14th. December 1802 by Lieutenant Robbins who landed in Sea Elephant Bay from H.M.S. Cumberland.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design