200th Anniversary Discovery of Tamar RiverPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the discovery of the Tamar River by George Bass & Matthew Flinders in the sloop "Norfolk."
On October 7, 1798, Bass, this time accompanied by Flinders, sailed from Port Jackson in the sloop Norfolk. .By December 9, 1798, Flinders was able to record:
Bass and Flinders circumnavigated the newly identified island, exploring the Tamar and Derwent river inlets which would later become the sites for new settlements. They spent Christmas in the deep, sheltered waters of the Derwent River and then sailed north up the east coast to arrive back at Port Jackson on January 12, 1799.
|Address:||East Tamar Highway, Low Head, 7253|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.06|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-November-1798|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-November-1798|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1998|
To commemorate the 200th anniversary of the discovery of the Tamar River by George Bass and Matthew Flinders in the sloop "Norfolk" on 3rd November 1798.
Unveiled by His Excellency the Hon. Sir Guy Green AC, KBE Governor of Tasmania