www.monumentaustralia.org.au

French MemorialPrint Page Print this page

This plaque was unveiled by the French Consul in 1979 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Western Australia.

A French survey vessel under Lieutenant Commander Milius was grounded near Cottlesloe here in June 1801. Captain Hamelin of the Naturaliste, which was anchored between Rottnest and Swanbourne, sent Lieutenant Colonel Milius to survey Garden Island and Carnac Island on 18 June 1801, while Francis Heirisson was surveying the Swan River. On the way back to the Naturaliste, Milius` party ran into a north west gale and was cast ashore. The survey party took advantage of the opportunity to survey the Cottesloe region while they were marooned. One group walked along the beach to the mouth of the river, where they planted a French Tricolour to alert Heirisson of their presence. The main party went inland to the Swan River where they located certain aboriginal camps and examined the flora and fauna.

Location

Address:Marine Parade, Cottesloe, 6011
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.996389
Long: 115.750953
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Actual Event STart Date:19-June-1801
Actual Event End Date:19-June-1801
Link:http://www.acph.nicheit.com.au

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 1st November, 1979
Front Inscription

A French survey vessel under Lieutenant Commander Milius was cast ashore on the beach near this spot on the morning of 19th June, 1801.
CAPTAIN HAMELIN of the Naturaliste, which was anchored between Rottnest and Swanbourne, sent Lieutenant Commander Milius to survey Carnac Island and Garden Island on 18th June while Francois Heirisson was surveying the Swan River.
On the way back to the Naturaliste Milius' party ran into a north west gale and was cast ashore.
The survey party took the opportunity to survey around the Cottesloe region while they were marooned.
One group walked along the beach to the mouth of the river where they planted a French tricolour to alert Heirisson of their presence. The main party went inland to the Swan River where they located certain Aboriginal camps and examined the flora and fauna.

Unveiled by HIS EXCELLENCY M.PIERRE CARRAUD, Ambassador to France. 1st November 1979, the sesquicentennial year of Western Australia.

Source: MA, HWA, ACPH
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design