Matthew FlindersPrint Page
A monument commemorates the area`s first contact with Europeans when Captain Matthew Flinders, Commander of His Majesty`s sloop Investigator, discovered and named the Gulf of St. Vincent on 30 March, 1802.
|Address:||Wakefield Street, Behind RSL, Port Wakefield, 5550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.184753|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||30-March-1802|
|Actual Event End Date:||30-March-1802|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||April-1948|
Matthew Flinders R.N.
(1774 - 1814)
Commander of H.M. Sloop "Investigator" discovered and on 30 March 1802 at the head of the Gulf named it Gulf of St. Vincent after Admiral Lord St Vincent (John Jervis). The same day he named Yorke Peninsula after the Rt. Hon. Charles Philip Yorke of the Admiralty. Flinders landed at the head of the Gulf and walked towards Hummock Mount.
Unveiled Pioneers Day April 1948.