Charles SturtPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of Charles Sturt’s exploration into Central Australia and the passing of his party through the district in 1844.
The plaque was originally located on a cairn unveiled in 1944 on the old Market allotment at the corner of Murray and Cowan Streets. The cairn was demolished in 2002 when 156 Murray was developed as 'Bed Shed' and the plaque itself was affixed to the wall next to 154 Murray Street.
|Address:||154 Murray Street, Alcove, Gawler, 5118|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.596455|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||13-August-1844|
|Actual Event End Date:||16-August-1844|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th August, 1944|
CAPTAIN CHARLES STURT
Central Australian Exploring Expedition,
Passed Through Gawler
13 - 16 August 1844.
The Principal Discoveries Were Barrier
And Grey Ranges, Cooper and Eyre Creeks.