Hume & HovellPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Chris McLaughlin

A cairn erected near a campsite marks the centenary of the Hume and Hovell expedition.

In 1824 Hamilton Hume and William Hilton Hovell, encouraged by Governor Brisbane, led an expedition of six convict servants overland to reach the Southern coast. A fortnight after leaving Hume's home at Appin, the party left his station at Gunning, on October 17th 1824. They crossed South Eastern part of the present shire of Benalla, and on the evening Saturday 27th November camped by Hollands Creek. They arrived at Corio Bay on December 16th 1824. 

Their successful trip generated reports of hundreds of miles of good grazing land, well-watered and with a good climate. Many pastoralists began to move into this new territory


Address:Tolmie Road, Tatong, 3673
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.785577
Long: 146.139015
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:30-November-1824
Actual Event End Date:30-November-1824


Actual Monument Dedication Date:1923
Front Inscription

Hume & Hovell on their return journey passed through here

December 30th 1824

Erected by residents 1824

Source: MA,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design