Joseph Hawdon & Charles Bonney Print Page Print this page

Shepparton Pioneer Memorial
Shepparton Pioneer Memorial

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

Commemorates the camping place of Joseph Hawdon and Charles Bonney, the first Europeans to venture onto the townsite who camped by Goulburn River while overlanding cattle from Albury to Adelaide in 1838.

Hawdon had taken stock overland from New South Wales to Port Phillip Bay before deciding that he would take a herd to Adelaide. On 4 January 1838 he invited Charles Bonney to join an expedition taking cattle to South Australia. Bonney accepted at once and joined the party at the Goulburn River on 17 January. They travelled down the Goulburn to the Murray, which they followed until they saw the Mount Lofty Range and then turned west to Adelaide where they were enthusiastically welcomed by the colonists, many of whom were living on kangaroo meat. This would be the impetus for a succession of parties making the long journey, and for pioneering alternative routes.


Address:Sobraon & Welsford Streets, Lawn Tennis Club, Shepparton, 3630
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.336111
Long: 145.355833
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:13-January-1838
Actual Event End Date:13-January-1838


Front Inscription

Joseph Hawdon and Charles Bonney, the first white men to visit this district, camped near this spot on 13 January 1838

Source: MA,VMR, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design