Explorers MonumentPrint Page
A monument commemorates George Bass, the visits of Lieutenant James Grant and Lieutenant John Murray, the French expeditions of Nicholas Baudin and Dumont Dúrville, and the settlement of Fort Dumaresq on this site.
The State Governor and party unveiled at Rhyll, the little fishing village on the eastern shores of Phillip Island, a memorial cairn erected by subscriptions from islanders and visitors in co-operation with the national parks committee and the Department of Public Instruction, represented by Mr. A. Long, M.A.- The inscription on the plate reads: —
Lord Stradbroke eulogised the hardihood and courage of the early explorers and the wonderful progress and development of Phillip Island, which he regarded as having an exceptional future. In the evening the Governor entertained at dinner at the Isle of Wight Hotel, Cowes, 35 soldiers and soldiers' fathers. The function was a success. The presentation of 50 fine views, of Phillip Island and Westernport, in a specially inscribed album, was made to the Governor by Mr. E. V. McHenry.
Age (Melbourne, Vic), 20 February 1923.
|Address:||Beach Road, near Jetty, Rhyll, 3923|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.465525|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1801|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1826|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 16th February, 1923|
TO COMMEMORATE THE DISCOVERY OF THIS PORT
BY SURGEON GEORGE BASS 4 JAN 1798
AND THE VISITS PAID BY
LIEUT JAMES GRANT MARCH 1801
LIEUT JOHN MURRAY DEC 1801
THE FRENCH UNDER CAPT BAUDIN APRIL 1802
AND CAPT D’URVILLE NOV 1826
ALSO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE TEMPORARY
SETTLEMENT FORT DUMARESQ DEC 1820
Plaque 2 :
To Commemorate The Bi-Centenary
Of The Landing Here Of
Lt. James Grant From The Brig, The Lady Nelson
On 22nd March, 1801
And The Mapping Of Western Port By
Ensign Francis Barreillier
Placed By The Bass Coast Shire Community