Burke & WillsPrint Page
Scoria and bluestone obelisk marks the starting point for the Burke and Wills expedition.
The expedition involved 19 men aided by camels and cameleers with the intention of crossing Australia from Melbourne in the south to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the north, a distance of around 3,250 kilometres. At the time most of the inland of Australia had not be explored by non-indigenous people and was completely unknown to European settlers.
On 20 August 1860, some 15,000 Melburnians gathered at Royal Park to farewell the 18 members of the Victorian Exploring Expedition, led by Robert O’Hara Burke. This stone cairn marks the expedition’s departure point
|Address:||Macarthur Road, Royal Park, Parkville, 3052|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.788944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-August-1860|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-August-1860|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1889|
This memorial has been erected to mark the spot from whence the Burke and Wills Expedition started on the 20th August 1860.
After successfully accomplishing their mission the two brave leaders perished on their return journey at Coopers Creek in June 1861.