Survey MonumentPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A monument commemorates surveyors Henry Wade and Edward White and their Border survey of 1847 to 1850


Address:Portland-Nelson & Border Roads, Border Car Park, Nelson, 3292
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.048056
Long: 141.007222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:28-April-1847
Actual Event End Date:07-December-1850
Monument Designer:Robert Miles (Mount Gambier, SA)


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 11th December, 2001
Front Inscription

South Australia - Victoria Border

This monument commemorates surveyors Henry Wade and Edward White and their survey of the border between South Australia and Victoria (then Port Phillip District of New South Wales).

Henry Wade and Edward White commenced the survey on the shores of the Southern Ocean on 28th April 1847.  Edward White completed the survey at the southern bank of the Murray River 7th December 1850, a total distance of 448.72 kilometres.

Unveiled on 11th December 2001 by Keith C. Bell, Surveyor General of Victoria and Peter Kentish, Surveyor General of South Australia.

A Centenary of Federation Project 1901 - 2001

 In the 150th year of the appointment of the first Surveyor General of Victoria

The Memorial
The Ware and White Memorial is an artwork designed and fabricated by artist Robert Miles of Mount Gambier in 2001.  it is inspired by the equipment that would have been used by the two surveyors during their survey of the border.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design