Hume & HovellPrint Page
At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.
Thirty-three monuments or cairns were erected at Violet Town, Euroa, Avenel, Seymour, Broadford, Kilmore, Mount Bland, Bulla, Moyhu, Hansonville, Benalla, Samaria, Swanpool, Yarck, Yea, The Horn (Buffalo), Myrtleford, Whoronly, Everton, Murmungee, Stanley, Back Creek, Allan`s Flat, Staghorn Flat, Ebden, Bethanga, Hume Reservoir, Strath Creek, Deer Park, Werribee, Lara, Bulla, Everton.
The plaque was originally hung in the Hansonville School, (corner of School Road and Banksdale Road, Hansonville), near the Hansonville Hall, at the Hansonville Reserve.
The Hansonville School was closed in 1993, merging with the Greta South School to become Greta Valley, at the Greta South site. The majority of the Hansonville School buildings were later removed or demolished.
After the 1952 bushfires, when the Hansonville Hall was destroyed, the nearby Greta Hall was moved to its current location on Reserve Road, where it was renamed the Greta-Hansonville Hall. It is planned to house the original tablet there, and to erect a commemorative stone with a brass plaque at the original site.
|Address:||Reserve Road, Greta - Hansonville Hall, Hansonville, 3675|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.588611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-December-1824|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-December-1824|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 20th December, 1924|
Hume and Hovell (explorers) passed by here
20th Decr 1824.