Burke & Wills Mechanics InstitutePrint Page
The local inhabitants of the gold town of Fryerstown held a meeting on the 25th November 1861 and decided to build a memorial to Burke and Wills.
The residents of Castlemaine, (approximately 10 kilometres away) were outraged that the money would not be contributed towards their memorial. 300 pounds was raised and the foundation stone laid in mid 1863. The Mechanics Institute opened in late 1863.
|Address:||Vaughan-Chewton Road, Fryerstown, 3451|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.141159|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1863|