Hume & HovellPrint Page
Cairn marks the Hume and Hovell campsite in 1824.
At the centenary of Hume and Hovell exploration in 1924 a committee was formed to co-ordinate and organise local celebrations along the route from Albury to Corio Bay. An itinerary was created for the unveiling ceremonies giving the hour and date for each place concerned from 15 to 21 November 1924.
Thirty-three monuments or cairns were erected at Violet Town, Euroa, Avenel, Seymour, Broadford, Kilmore, Mount Bland, Bulla, Moyhu, Hansonville, Benalla, Samaria, Swanpool, Yarck, Yea, The Horn (Buffalo), Myrtleford, Whoronly, Everton, Murmungee, Stanley, Back Creek, Allan`s Flat, Staghorn Flat, Ebden, Bethanga, Hume Reservoir, Strath Creek, Deer Park, Werribee, Lara, Bulla, Everton
|Address:||Oaklands Road, Bulla, 3428|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.636371|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||14-December-1824|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-December-1824|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||November, 1924|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||December-1924|
Erected by the residents of the district in memory of the explorers, Hume and Hovell, who camped near this site on the 14th and 20th December 1824