Fairy CavesPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the exploration of the Buchan Caves by Frank Moon.
In March 1907, while exploring the Buchan Reserve, Frank Moon found a small but deep hole, which he enlarged. He lowered himself by rope 15 metres into what is now known as the Fairy Cave. A loose rock fall at the end of the cave prevented further exploration at that time. The Fairy Cave was opened to the public in December 1907.
Monn was the first government assisted caretaker of the Buchan Caves.
|Address:||Caves Road, Buchan Caves Reserve, Buchan, 3885|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.495583|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||18-March-1907|
|Actual Event End Date:||18-March-1907|
This tablet commemorates the exploration of these Caves by Francis Herbert Arthur Moon, who on 18th March 1907 at great personal risk, first made a descent by rope into now what is called The Fairy Cave. It is a mark of public recognition of the valuable part he played in the development of this great national asset