Charles GrimesPrint Page
A monument commemorates the discovery of the Maribyrnong (Saltwater) River by Charles Grimes and his party and their camp near this site.
Charles Grimes was the acting chief surveyor of New South Wales in 1803 when he was put in charge of an expedition to survey Port Phillip Bay. He set sail from Sydney on 29 November 1802 in the "Cumberland", a schooner of 29 tons built in Sydney, with Lieutenant Charles Robbins, James Flemming (botanist) and a supporting party.
In February 1803 the Grimes party explored the lower reaches of the "saltwater and freshwater rivers" (the Maribyrnong and Yarra) around the present day location of Melbourne.
|Address:||Barbara Crescent, Thompson Street Reserve, Avondale Heights, 3067|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.774033|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-February-1803|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-February-1803|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 5th February, 1978|
This monument has been erected to mark the discovery of the Saltwater River by Charles Grimes, Surveyor-General of New South Wales, on 3rd February 1803. Grimes and his party camped in this area that night.
Erected by Essendon, Sunshine and Keilor (Historical) Societies.
Commissioned 5th Feb. 1978.
Unveiled by the Hon. Sir Kenneth Wheeler,M.P., Member of the Legislative Assembly and Member for Essendon