John Oxley & Charles SturtPrint Page
The monument commemorates the explorations of John Oxley, George Evans and party who explored the area in 1818 and Charles Sturt who carried out further exploration of the area in 1828-29.
Explorer John Oxley camped on the present townsite during his investigation of the Macquarie River in 1818. He noted an abundance of kangaroos and emus.
|Address:||Oxley Highway, Oxley Park, Warren, 2824|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.697306|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In commemoration of JOHN OXLEY, GEORGE EVANS
and party. They camped in this vicinity on the
night of 23rd June 1818. On 27th June they
discovered and named Mt. HARRIS of which this
rock was part.
CHARLES STURT, HAMILTON HUME and party
passed about 1 mile to the north east on or about
18th December 1828 in their attempt to solve
the problem of the supposed inland sea.