Edward & Fred OgilviePrint Page
A monument commemorates the journey through the Hamilton's Gap by the Ogilvie Brothers, Edward and Fred.
In 1840, after the ex-convict Richard Craig had refused to let the Ogilvie Brothers join Dr John Dobie`s party which he was guiding to the Clarence, Edward pushed on with his brother Frederick and an Aboriginal and reached the Clarence at Tabulum ahead of Craig. Downstream Edward took up fifty-six miles (90 km) on both sides of the river and later named the runs Yulgilbar. On his return to Merton in the Upper Hunter to collect their flocks he found an easier route by Tenterfield. The two brothers and a `new chum` C. G. Tindal settled at Yulgilbar. The Aboriginals were hostile but Edward became fluent in the local dialect and at a parley explained that he only wanted the grass and gave them complete hunting rights on his run.
|Address:||Ogilivie Drive, Hamilton`s Gap, 7 kilometres from Tabulum, Tabulam, 2469|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.930152|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.