Gregory Blaxland MemorialPrint Page
White marble tablet erected by the citizens of St Marys in 1938 to commemorate the site of his Blaxland`s farm on the South Creek.
Blaxland set out from his farm on the 11th May 1813 with William Lawson and W.C Wentworth attended by four servants with four pack horses and five dogs on the first expedition that crossed the Blue Mountains.
Cairns in memory of the Reverend Samuel Marsden and Gregory Blaxland will be unveiled by the Honorary Minister, Mr. A.R. Richardson, in the St Marys district tomorrow. The Marsden cairn is a Mamre, Marsden's old home and the Blaxland cairn is at Lee Holme, which was Blaxland's farm at the time of the mountain crossing. The ceremonies will be preceded by a procession, in which historical characters will be included, leaving from St Marys station at 3.pm.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 14th May 1938.
|Address:||31 Luddenham Road, Orchard Hills, 2748|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.805863|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th May, 1938|
Here on South Creek was Gregory Blaxland`s Farm. From it, on May 11, 1813, he set out with William Lawson and W.C Wentworth attended by four servants, with four pack-horses and five dogs on the first expedition that crossed the Blue Mountains.
Citizens of St Marys 1938.