Colonel William PatersonPrint Page
A seat erected in 1976 by the Raymond Terrace & District Historical Society and Port Stephens Shire Council commemorates the landing of Colonel William Paterson at this site on the 29th June 1801.
Colonel William Paterson, FRS (17 August 1755 – 21 June 1810) was a Scottish soldier, explorer, Lieutenant governor and botanist best known for leading early settlement in Tasmania. He led an expedition to the Hunter Valley in 1801 and up the Paterson River (later named in his honour by Governor King) and in 1804 led an expedition to Port Dalrymple, in what is now Tasmania, exploring the Tamar River and going up the North Esk River farther than anyone previously had managed to do. Paterson was appointed Governor of New South Wales on 1 January 1809 after the deposition of Governor Captain William Bligh in the so-called "Rum Rebellion", but was replaced by the newly arrived Lachlan Macquarie by the end of the year because of failing health. He left Sydney for England on 12 May 1810, but died on board HMS Dromedary while off Cape Horn just a few weeks later.
|Address:||Hunter Street, Riverside Park, Raymond Terrace, 2324|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.761389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||29-June-1801|
|Actual Event End Date:||29-June-1801|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1976|