www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain James CookPrint Page Print this page

05-October-2014
05-October-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

Statue commemorates Captain James Cook R.N. Unveiled in 1874, the statue was presented to the Municipal Council of Randwick by H.S. Gibson in 1910.

This is the first statue erected in New South Wales to Cook. It represents the Colonial wish to commemorate Cook in the 1870s and was erected by Captain Thomas Watson in the grounds of his residence Cooks Lodge on the 27th October 1874 on the anniversary of Cook's birthday. It is an interesting piece of local work, a good piece of statuary and its site on the old road to La Perouse and overlooking Botany Bay is (as Watson intended) historically interesting.

About 12ft in height, on a base of about the same height. Both in Pyrmont sandstone. Situated on a small triangular piece of land surrounded by iron railing set on a sandstone base. Cook is in naval uniform and carrying a telescope, beside him are an anchor and rope, terrestrial globe half draped with a flag and a sextant. The four sides of the base are inscribed with details of Cook`s career and of the donor and of Commodore Goodenough, RN.

The first statue erected in any of the Australian colonies of the great circumnavigator and discoverer of Australia-the illustrious Captain Cook-was unveiled at Randwick at 6 o'clock yesterday afternoon, by Commodore Goodenough, R.N., in the presence of a very large number of well known and influential citizens of Sydney. This event was brought to a happy issue through the munificence of one of our oldest citizens, Captain Thomas Watson, who has long been known as an ardent admirer of the celebrated discoverer of this beautiful land, and who can claim the honour of erecting the first, and, at present, only fitting tribute to the memory of Captain Cook. The figure and pedestal are both composed of Pyrmont freestone, and are the work of a colonial artist, Mr. Walter M'Gill, of Sydney.
Empire (Sydney, NSW), 28 October 1874. 

 

Location

Address:Avoca Street & Belmore Road, Randwick, 2031
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.916638
Long: 151.241145
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Monument Designer:Walter McGill

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 27th October, 1874
Front Inscription

             CAPTAIN 
        JAMES COOK 
                R.N.

       (lower plaque) 
        PRESENTED 
TO THE MUNICIPALITY OF RANDWICK
         ON 14 APRIL 1910

                 BY
        H.S.GIBSON
       OF GREENSTEAD 
           ALLISON Rd
             RANDWICK
ALD T.R.GILDERTHORP MAYOR

Left Side Inscription
ERECTED BY 
   CAPTAIN
THOMAS WATSON, 
27th OCTOBER 1874.
Right Side Inscription
    THIS STATUE
 WAS UNVEILED ON
THE 27th OCTOBER 1874,
    BY COMMODORE

J.G.GOODENOUGH,
WHO WAS ALSO KILLED IN THE 
     ENDEAVOUR TO 
   OPEN UP FRIENDLY 
INTERCOURSE WITH THE NATIVES
OF THE PACIFIC ISLANDS
     AT SANTA CRUZ 
ON THE 11th AUGUST 1875




 
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design