Captain Francis Allman ExpeditionPrint Page
Monument commemorates the place where his expedition landed.
Three ships the Lady Nelson, the Merman and the Prince Regent set sail with 44 military personnel and 60 convicts who were chosen for their skills and good behaviour and encouraged with the possibility of conditional pardons or tickets-of-leave after 18 months. This penal settlement was established in 1821 under Captain Francis Allman who landed on what is now the town green and hoisted the British flag on the rise now known as Allman Hill.
|Address:||Horton Street, The Town Green, Port Macquarie, 2444|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.428235|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
NEAR THIS PLACE
ON 17TH AND 18TH APRIL 1821 WERE
MOORED THE VESSELS 'LADY NELSON'
'MERMAID' AND 'PRINCE REGENT' WHICH
CONVENED THE FIRST DETACHMENT OF
TROOPS AND CONVICTS TO THIS DIST-
RICT UNDER THE FIRST COMMANDANT
CAPT.FRANCIS ALLMAN 48TH REGT.
18TH APRIL 1960
H D H S
UNVEILED ON THE 18TH. APRIL 1960
BY GEO. FAUNCE ALLMAN
GREAT GRANDSON OF THE