Captain Arthur PhillipPrint Page
A monument commemorates Captain Arthur Phillip`s and his party`s visit to Pearl Beach.
In early March 1788, Governor Arthur Phillip led a small party of officers and marines on an exploratory voyage along the coast to the north of Sydney Harbour. Only five weeks after the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove, it became clear that reliable supplies of water and food must be found if the settlement was to survive.
During the eight-day voyage, Phillip and his party made a brief exploration of both sides of Broken Bay. This included a tributary initially known as the `north arm`. Later this area was to be called the `north-east arm`, and eventually `Brisbane Water`
|Address:||9 Diamond Road, Pearl Beach Progress Association's Memorial Hall, Pearl Beach, 2256|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.545232|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||02-March-1788|
|Actual Event End Date:||02-March-1788|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 2nd March, 1988|
Visited 2 March, 1788
At 9 at night moored the boats in a cove on the N. side of the bay off which the surf broke violently ;
They were met by a great number of natives men, women and children...
They were all friendly.
Lieut. W M. Bradley, R.N.
We slept in the boat that night wthin a rocky point, in the north-west part of the bay (which is very extensive)
As the natives, tho` very friendly appeared to be numerous.
Gov. Capt. A. Phillip R .N.
This plaque was unveiled on 2nd March, 1988 to commemorate the visit to Pearl Beach by Captain Phillip & party on 2nd, March 1788