James Poole Print Page
Headstone, believed to be erected around 1883, commemorates James Poole who was Captain Charles Sturt`s second in command. It was erected by the people of nearby Mount Sturt Station near Milparinka. Originally Poole's Christian name was mistakenly recorded as John. This error was rectified at a later date. An information plaque is also at the site.
In 1845 Captain Charles Sturt and his expedition ventured into the region now known as the Corner Country. The region was in severe drought and the summer was unbearably hot. For several months the group camped beside a water hole in a rocky basalt glen, now known as Depot Glen. Many of the men were suffering from scurvy.
By the time the rains finally came in July, James Poole, Sturt`s second in command was very ill. He died just a few days after the expedition broke camp to continue their search for an inland sea. Poole`s body was buried beneath a beefwood tree not far from their campsite at Depot Glen. Depot Glen, the nearby site of Poole`s grave, and a cairn built by the men during their encampment form part of a privately owned sheep station known as Mt Poole.
|Address:||Poole`s Grave Road, Mount Poole Station 10 kilometres West, Milparinka, 2880|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -29.662217|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||16-July-1845|
|Actual Event End Date:||16-July-1845|
ON THE 16th