www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Comte de Jean Francois de Galaup de la PerousePrint Page Print this page

2012
2012

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams / Sandra Brown / Lynda Newnam

A monument was erected by Messrs de Bougainville and Ducampier, commanders of La Thetis and L`Esperance on the site La Perouse visited in 1788. "The last place from any news of him was forthcoming". Coins from the reign of Louis XVIII are set within the foundations. 

The foundation stone was laid by Hyacinthe de Bougainville on the 6th of September 1825 on land gifted by Governor Brisbane.  Each side of the monument contains a series of plaques.

The column is sited within an area also enclosing the grave of Friar Le Receveur, a Franciscan scientist with La Perouse expedition who died here.

Comte de La Pérouse (1741-1788) was a French explorer and naval officer who landed in Sydney just five days after Captain Arthur Phillip set foot on Botany Bay, January 26, 1788.   La Perouse established a camp on the northern shore, now called after him, and maintained good relations with the English during his six-week stay. He sailed on 10 March 1788  and was not heard of again. His disappearance led the French government in 1791 to equip another expedition under Bruny d'Entrecasteaux to look for him, but the search was fruitless. It was not until 1828 that the mystery was solved, when Dumont d'Urville ascertained that the La Pérouse expedition was wrecked at Vanikoro, Santa Cruz, north of the New Hebrides.

Yesterday Commodore De BOUGAINVILLE, and all the French Officers, proceeded by land to Botany-bay, where the noble Commodore laid the first stone of a monumental inscription to the memory of the immortal LA PEROUSE, the north head of that bay being supposed to be the last spot of New Holland on which that great Man touched. 
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW), 8 September 1825.

Location

Address:ANZAC Parade, La Perouse, 2036
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.988411
Long: 151.230659
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:17-February-1788
Actual Event End Date:17-February-1788
Monument Designer:George Cockney (architect)
Link:http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/adbonli…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 6th September, 1825
Front Inscription

This place visited by MONSIEUR DE LA PEROUSE in the year MDCCLXXXVIII is the last whence an account of him have been received.

Erected in the name of France by M M De Bougainville and Ducampier commanding the Frigate La Thetis and the Corvette L Esperance lying in Port Jackson in MDCCCXXV

 MDCCCXXV

 

Left Side Inscription
La fondment pose en 1826
Eleve en 1828
Back Inscription

A La Memoire De Monsieur De La Perouse Cette Terre Qil Visita En MDCCLXXXVIII 

Est La Dourniere Doula Failt Parvenir De Ses Nouvelles

Erice Nom De La France Par Les Soins De M M Bougainville Et Ducampier Commandant La Fregate La Thetis et La Corvette L  Esperance En relache au Port Jackson En MDCCCXXV
 

Right Side Inscription
Zelee 1914

Foundation laid in 1826
Completed in 1828      
Source: MA, ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Exploration
Exploration
Settlement
Settlement
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design