Hume and HovellPrint Page
A cairn commemorates the 150th anniversary of the traversing of the Holbrook Shire by Hume and Hovell. Originally set beside the highway 4 kilometres south of Holbrook , it was relocated to Woomargama following roadworks in 1985.
The explorers Hume and Hovell were the first known Europeans in the area. They travelled through in 1824 when looking for new grazing country in the south of the colony of New South Wales.
|Address:||Woomargama Way, Woomargama Park, Woomargama, 2644|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.83294|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||10-November-1824|
|Actual Event End Date:||12-November-1824|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 10th November, 1974|
This cairn was erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the traversing of the Holbrook Shire, by the explorers Hume and Hovel, 10th November to 12th November, 1824
Unveiled by Mr. Stuart Hume
10th November, 1974