Charles SturtPrint Page
A cairn, unveiled in the centenary year, marks the spot where Charles Sturt crossed the Murrumbidgee River in 1829.
In November 1829 Sturt used the Murrumbidgee River to cut across to the Lachlan River. On the banks of the Murrumbidgee, Sturt and his seven companions put together a boat they had brought with them from Sydney, and proceeded downstream. On January 14, 1830, they entered a wide new river which Sturt named the Murray, and a few days later they sighted another river flowing into it which Sturt excitedly and correctly assumed to be the Darling.
There was a good attendance on the motorists' camping reserve at Gundagai to celebrate the centenary of Captain Charles Sturt's first visit to Gundagai. A cairn of rough stone and cement had been erected midway between the two bridges, the front of which bore a marble tablet, inscribed: "Captain Charles Sturt, explorer, passed this spot on 30th November, 1829." The president of the shire council (Cr. Carberry) gave an interesting description of Sturt 's journey down the Murrumbidgee referring particularly to his journey through the Gundagai district. Mr. Ken. Hoad, M.L.A., gave an interesting and instructional address on Sturt 's expeditions in New South Wales and South Australia. The president then unveiled the tablet by releasing an Australian flag which had draped the cairn.
Albury Banner and Wodonga Express (NSW), 13 December 1929.
|Address:||Middleton Street, Caravan Park, Gundagai, 2722|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.073611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||30-November-1829|
|Actual Event End Date:||30-November-1929|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th November, 1929|
Captain Charles Sturt
- Explorer -
Passed This Spot
November 30th 1829